We’re a little slow around here lately. A week ago, Josh Johnson posted a challenge over at Josh’s Thoughts for the Twins blogosphere to come up with our predictions for the year. He emailed a notice around to a lot of Twins bloggers and, to be honest, I have no idea if we got an email from Josh. See… we’re new at this and I haven’t quite figured out how to check our “Knuckleballs” email. (Stop laughing, it’s not THAT funny!)
We were all supposed to use Friday, April 2 as the date for all of us to post our various predictions for this season. I’m pretty sure we missed that date. I did read his post a week ago and I just have to admit that I was getting so excited about my upcoming (at the time) trip up to Target Field on Saturday, that I just simply forgot about this.
The good news is that, since we’re a newer blog, chances are that not many people noticed we didn’t participate in “prediction day.” On the other hand, apparently SOMEONE out there is reading us, because over at the “newsbobber” site, we’ve shot up from Number 64 all the way to number 48 (or tied for number 43, if you look at it that way)!
Josh suggested a number of categories that we might consider making predictions concerning. Frankly, I had enough trouble getting my “Monday Morning Mind” around LaVelle E. Neal III’s challenge for his blog readers to come up with a position player and a pitcher as 2010 “Picks to Click”, never mind all of Josh’s proposed categories, but I’m going to take a swing at making some predictions.
- Twins MVP: Hmmmm… let me see… I hear that Joe Mauer guy is pretty good. I’ll go with him.
- Twins Top Pitcher: I like the way Kevin Slowey’s been looking. I’ll predict he keeps up the good work through the year.
- Twins Best Rookie: I’m wondering how many rookies will even get a shot in 2010, but I’ll go with Danny Valencia.
- Twins Most Improved Player: Nick Punto (it’s an even numbered year, right?)
- Bold Predictions (think of several if you’d like): Jim Thome plays a major role this year, to the tune of 25 home runs and Pat Neshek leads the Twins in saves. (Yes, Thome and Neshek are my “Picks to Click“.)
- A.L. Central Prediction (Standings): Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, Cleveland
- Three Keys to Success for the Twins: I suppose “win lots of games” is a bit broad, huh? OK, let’s say 1) identify a consistent closer; 2) keep the big guns healthy; and 3) consistency of the rotation. (Yes, I know, these are all painfully obvious. I guess I’m just not feeling overly thoughtful today.)
Rest of the League Predictions
- A.L. MVP: When someone shows me a better, and more valuable, player than Joe Mauer, I’ll consider someone else. Until then, he’s the guy.
- N.L. MVP: Likewise, I can’t see anyone approaching Albert Pujols for this award.
- A.L. Cy Young: Cliff Lee, Seattle… if he gets off his lazy butt and gets on the mound sometime soon.
- N.L. Cy Young: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia
- A.L. Rookie of the Year: Brian Matusz, Baltimore
- N.L. Rookie of the Year: Jason Heyward, Atlanta
- A.L. Breakout Player of the Year: Let’s go with our own Denard Span, shall we?
- N.L. Breakout Player of the Year: I’ve got no friggin clue here
- A.L. Comeback Player of the Year: Pat Neshek would be a nice story in this category, wouldn’t he?
- N.L. Comeback Player of the Year: Yeah… no idea.
- A.L. Playoff Predictions: Twins over Red Sox, Yankees over Mariners
- N.L. Playoff Predictions: Braves over Rockies, Cards over Phillies
- World Series Prediction: Twins over Cardinals in a throwback to 1987!
CapitalBabs and KL… if you feel inclined to add your own picks here (maybe you’ve given this more thought than I have?), just edit the post and add your predictions.
Anyone else? Let’s see what you think in the comments section.
Look for a GameChat for Game 1 out of 162 (or more!) this evening before game time at 9:00 CT.